First time user - Fumanling Query!

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

Jules

First time user - Fumanling Query!

Post by Jules »

Hello!
I am new to Demodex after 4 years increasingly severe acne rosacea, which came out of nowhere and has increasingly eroded my confidence and social life.
I have tried everything the Doctor's have given me, and am now being referred for possible surgery as I have hyperplasmia of my nose.
At last I think I have found something which works - Demodex - and have all my fingers and toes crossed!
I've bought the X and Fumanling creams and also the foam wash and soap.
I started using these yesterday (X cream lastnight) and have first used the Fumanling cream this morning but after a couple of hours my skin is really prickly and itchy and feels like tiny hot needles are spiking into my face. Actually, it literally feels like I am being bitten all over my face by bugs!! I feel like I have face fleas! lol
My scalp is suddenly very itchy and my neck too, although these are not affected by the acne rosacea and have never been itchy before.
So... should I put on more Fumanling cream?? Or is there anything I can do to relieve this - I just want to scratch my face constantly and wonder if this is normal?? I don;t ususally have this symptom with the acnea rosacea!
Thanks!
J
Jules

Post by Jules »

quick update! I'm past first full day now, and my upper body is an intching, crawling heap! Have only used Z cream once (lastnight) and the XMFL cream once (this morning) and used the foam wash before each. Should I be using the creams all over upper body now?? It feels like I;m cralwing all over with bugs! Is this good?? Do I need something else for my body too??
Also my eyes are really dry and sore - is this nomal? I took care to make sure cream not near eyes, but as my rosacea goes close to eyes at top of my nose I had to get quite close. is this ok?
Thanks!
J x
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Hi Jules,

The itching and redness may go away, but I suspect they'll only get worse because I had a similar thing happen to me. In my case, I was getting an allergic reaction to the XFML cream (medicated). That caused my neck to turn red and itch. I stopped applying it on my neck. But XFML on my face was okay. My face apparently wasn't allergic, but my neck was. Weird, eh? But that's how these things work.

Now, the ZZ cream didn't cause any itching or redness, but it is very drying. So you'll find that you're going to need a moisturizer during the day. Fortunately the XFML cream acts like a moisturizer, so you can just wear that during the day if you're not allergic to it.

Keep in mind, that was my experience. I've heard from others who were allergic to ZZ instead and had no problems with XFML. Most people have no problems with either cream. So it depends on the individual.

You don't have to use the creams on your entire body. Primarily the face is the main source of demodex mites. That's where they live and breed. That's their primarily food source, too. So if you take care of your face, the rest of your body should naturally get better also. It's a gradual process, though. It could take many months.

It's interesting that you mentioned dry eyes. I also notice that the day after using ZZ my eyes also get dry and red. I don't know for sure if it is ZZ or not that causes it. But I suspect it. The solution is to not use too much ZZ. So go easy on it. Also be careful not to get it in your eyes. The fumes will reach your eyes, and that's normal, however. You can test whether this is the source of the problem or not by simply stopping treatment for a while and seeing if your eyes get better. Then go back on treatment and see if they get worse. Then you'll see a cause and effect.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Jules

Post by Jules »

thanks Steve - well day 2 and there doesn't seem to be any extra redness so I'm not sure if I'm allergic, but I am "crawling" all over still. Still feels like I have bugs running all over me and biting me, face, scalp, upper body especially. Oh well, I will stick with it as I am desperate for this to work!
Also wanted to say what a great forum! I've felt really isolated with my skin as I don't know anyone else with acne rosacea, so is good to see so many others recovering with this stuff!
J
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Jules wrote:thanks Steve - well day 2 and there doesn't seem to be any extra redness so I'm not sure if I'm allergic, but I am "crawling" all over still. Still feels like I have bugs running all over me and biting me, face, scalp, upper body especially. Oh well, I will stick with it as I am desperate for this to work!
Also wanted to say what a great forum! I've felt really isolated with my skin as I don't know anyone else with acne rosacea, so is good to see so many others recovering with this stuff!
J
For the body mites, I have used the Fulio cream in the past. I used those on my back acne when I had a strange outbreak there once. It seemed to work. Fulio has a powerful smell that smells like cloves (one of its main ingredients). So if you wear it under clothing, it won't be so bad. That's why I recommend it for body acne rather than facial acne.

You can also use the soap bar / body soap lotion on your body as well. That may help a little, but it's not really designed as the primary anti-demodex mite solution. If you can actually afford it, you can start using XFML and ZZ on your body as well. That might increase the speed in which you get rid of the mites. However, like I said, if you just continue to apply it to your face, eventually the rest of your body will get better as well.

The scalp is probably the most difficult to deal with. There's a scalp shampoo for sale here. It works. It's fairly powerful. But I think the best way to deal with scalp mites is to just shave your head and apply ZZ and XFML. That's the best way. Otherwise if you're using the shampoo, I think it takes a longer time to get rid of them. But shaving ones head is a little too much for most people. I didn't do it either.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Jules

Post by Jules »

thanks Steve - will get some shampoo! Not sure if shaving my head will be a solution - I'm female - not that that matters - just not my style!! lol x
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Jules wrote:thanks Steve - will get some shampoo! Not sure if shaving my head will be a solution - I'm female - not that that matters - just not my style!! lol x
By the way, the shampoo isn't necessary really. What you can do is ignore your scalp problem. If you get pimples there, who cares, right? The only thing is that the mites that live there will try to make their way to your face all the time. So you'll get acne right at your hair line. If you see that happening, you should push the ZZ cream up into your hair line itself, about 1 centimeter in. That's what I do. That keeps my hair line looking good.

There's another problem with having mites on your scalp. That is, when you exercise and sweat, they'll get into your sweat. The sweat from your scalp can easily travel to your face and back, and so you can have a flare-up on your face and back because of this. The solution there is to wash your face (and back, if it's a problem) immediately after exercising / sweating. I discovered this myself, and found that washing right after a workout made it go away.

By the way, I've used all kinds of dandruff shampoo thinking it might be able to kill the mites, and it doesn't. The only thing I've found that worked for the scalp mites is to use the shampoo for sale on this web site or to use the bath & body wash or XFML soap bar also for sale. But the shampoo works better than the soap. I know it works because after using that shampoo, I get a break-out on my scalp and along my hair line especially. I don't know if it gets rid of the mites completely, since I never kept up with it, however.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Jules

Post by Jules »

hi
I'vebeen using the creams as directed for just over 2 weeks now and my skin is looking slightly less red in patches and like bits of my face are returning to normal skin texture at last! Even my nose seems to be slowly going back to normal instead of a mass of swollen crimson skin. It's GREAT!
Yet I still get this crawling/biting sensation when I use the creams, both in morning after XMFL cream applied, and at night after ZZ cream. I feel like my face is crawling and then my scalp and neck start too. Have been using creams on my neck and the Fulio bath wash, as well as the facial foam, am also changing towels and pillowcases every day too. Is the crawling going to stop? I feel like I have fleas (I don't by the way!) and am desperate to scratch for at least an hour or two after applying the creams. It's driving me mad!
Anyone else had this problem?
Jules

Post by Jules »

Hello!
week 6 and there is a marked improvement in my skin texture, acne and rosacea. However I still get the creepy crawly sensations after both creams, but learning to live with that!
I'm posting to ask if it;s ok to use the ZZ cream morning and night?? I notice my skin is much less red after ZZ cream, but the XMFL cream does seem to make it redder again - although it does moisturise really well! Would using ZZ twice daily speed up the healing process for my rosacea?
thanks!
J
oneday

Post by oneday »

Hey Jules!

I asked the same question a few weeks ago about using ZZ day and night, and if that would speed up things a bit. This is what SteveInAustin said:
SteveInAustin wrote:Yeah, I think applying ZZ twice a day is too harsh. At least for me it is. Yes, it's gentler than benzoyl peroxide. But over the long term it will dry your skin. And your skin will flake. That's why we use XFML during the day. XFML acts like a moisturizer and also treats acne. It's invisible too.

I think ZZ is the most effective product here. Better than XFML. But really you can probably get by without using any products during the day and just use ZZ at night, because at night is when the mites are most active and susceptible to the products. Still, XFML during the day can't hurt.

So I don't think you'd see much faster progress using ZZ twice a day vs. once a day.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
Huzzah for you seeing improvement! I get the same itchy, crawling feeling as you do :( It's unbearable sometimes. And I've noticed around the spots that are really itchy, I form tiny bumbs... kind of like mosquito bites. I get the itchy feeling during the day, but it gets worse as day progresses into night. Bah!!! I can't wait to get rid of these damnable mites! :roll:
Jules

Post by Jules »

thanks One day! Think I might try ZZ twice a day for a few days and see how goes!