Does a chemical peel cause nerve/capillaries damage?

For all acne and rosacea related skin problems,
post here.

Moderators: Julia, Walter, Administrator

di

Does a chemical peel cause nerve/capillaries damage?

Post by di »

I have rosacea and I was wondering if a chemical peel can cause nerve damage? Any thoughts? Is it a good idea to have such a cosmetic procedure performed?
Thanks,
Diana
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Why would it cause nerve damage? I've never heard of any peel doing that. And if it did, you bet people would sue over it.

But I don't think having a chemical peel is a good idea for anyone, period. It kills healthy skin cells. That causes your face to age more quickly in the long run.

For people using the ZZ product, a chemical peel is the worst thing you could do. That's because ZZ is already drying and irritating to the face. If you apply a chemical to essentially dry out your face even more, your face is just going to be too irritated. Best to stay away from any exfoliating product at this time. ZZ exfoliates your skin all by itself. But it's slower than a chemical peel, and it might leave your face looking dry and peely. The solution for that is to use packaging tape (or any tape is fine) and use it on your face to peel off the dead skin. Then use a moisturizer or XFML cream on your face during the day, and you won't see the peely skin anymore. That's the least irritating thing to do to your face. And it doesn't kill healthy skin cells.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA
di

Post by di »

Steve,
Let me explain my situation a little bit. I was diagnosed with rosacea in June, this year. My doctor recommended Finacea, which was working just a little bit. After a month my esthetician (in the doctor office) recommended me a chemical peel. So I had the peel performed on July, 26th. Four days after the peel I got red bumbs especially under my nose. I need to tell you that I used a hydrocortison cream after the peel. The red bumbs disappeared after a month or so but my skin is still red in that area. This is why I asked if a peel can do nerve damage. Several days after the peel I started feeling itchy and crawling like sensations on my face. I didn't have these sensations before the peel, maybe my skin has become more sensitive after the peel so now I could feel the crawling more easily. I don't know.
What are your thoughts about this?
Thanks,
Diana
SteveInAustin

Post by SteveInAustin »

Beats me. Ask your doctor that question.

Off-hand, I'd say nerve damage is unlikely. Nerves are below the skin surface and should be protected from any sort of surface application. And you weren't in pain afterwards, right? The cream you were given afterwards is a steroid I believe, and I seem to recall hearing that steroids could affect nerves. Not sure if that would be the case here. So I'd say it's unlikely. But then I'm not a doctor.

Anyway, you should have gone to your doctor immediately after you started feeling any sensations as a result of the chemical peel. If you've not done so already, make an appointment. Or just call the doctor up and ask him/her about it over the phone.

It could also be that after the peel your face became more sensitive to breezes and such. The crawling feeling could be just the normal sway of your hair follicles, but you're now feeling it more intensely because of the steroids or the chemical peel.

Oh, and you could be feeling crawling sensations not because of the peel but because you're projecting those feelings in your mind. In other words, it could be all in your mind. Just mentioning that as a possibility.

If it's either of those last two possibilities I mentioned, it's probably temporary and should go away sometime soon. I would have expected it to have gone away in the first week, though.

Steve
Austin, Texas USA